Here is a hearty vegetable recipe from the other night, with a little spice to it. I’ve been a big fan lately, of roasting vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, etc. as opposed to steaming, or blanching. In developing a much heartier character for the cold weather, it makes for a much more interesting flavor in many cases, and saves some time.
3 Heads of broccoli, washed, cut into spears
8 cloves of garlic, peeled, minced
1 cup of Kalamata olives, chopped
1 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 Cup (+ some extra) of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Method of Prep;
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat with garlic and pepper flakes. Careful not to let garlic brown. When the oil starts to bubble around garlic, cook for roughly two to three minutes and then remove from burner.
- In a large mixing bowl, drizzle garlic and pepper oil evenly over broccoli. Use a spoon, or your hands to toss the broccoli spears with oil, making sure that each spear is lightly coated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay broccoli spears flat on a sheet pan lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Roast until broccoli spears are tender and (only very slightly) start to turn golden- brown on the edges. Then, remove from the oven.
- To serve, dress a serving with a very light drizzle of olive oil, a squirt of lemon juice, a small handful of chopped olives, a light sprinkle of nutmeg, and a dusting of Parmesan cheese.