- 1 Bulb Fennel, shaved
- 1 Head of Radicchio, halved and sliced in strips
- 1/2 LB. of Bacon, chopped, rendered crisp
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1/4 Cup good quality capers and/or olives; kalamata, nicoise, etc., chopped
- 2 TBSP Canola or Vegetable oil for sauteing
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley finely chopped
- Chives finely chopped
Method of Prep
1. In a saute pan over medium heat with a dab of canola oil, add chopped bacon and render until crisp. Remove from pan onto a paper towel to absorb extra fat. Cool and reserve for salad.
2. In a separate, very hot pan with a little bit of canola or vegetable oil, sear the radicchio. Keep it moving in the pan. When it starts to caramelize a bit, remove and cool on a sheet pan.
3. When radicchio has cooled, toss it together with the fennel, bacon bits, olives, lemon juice, capers/ olives and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and parsley/ chives. Be sure to taste and adjust seasoning according to personal preference!