- 4 Sweet Potatoes peeled, cubed
- 4 White Potatoes peeled, cubed
- 1 Onion diced
- 2 TBSP Bacon Fat
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 TBSP Fresh Thyme
- 1 TBSP Fresh Parsley
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Method Of Prep
- Using a cast iron skillet over med-high heat, heat bacon fat until the pan becomes very hot but not yet smoking.
- Add the onions and potatoes at the same time so that both the onions and potatoes will caramelize. Stir occasionally, making sure not to let them burn. About half way through cooking, add the garlic.
- When potatoes become tender and have developed some crispness, remove from pan and turn into a mixing bowl. Dress with lemon, herbs and season to taste with salt and pepper.
*Note; be careful not to try to make a large batch unless you are using a very large pan. Over-crowding your pan will lead to too much moisture and more of steamed, mushy potatoes with no flavor development through caramelization.
*Try experimenting with this recipe as the base. I’ve added chicken/ duck leg confit, or crisp bacon. Or, in the summer, fresh diced tomato as part of the final seasoning.